Dear AST Family and Friends,
Thank you for making sure that students come to school wearing masks. We are all still adjusting to the current normal. During our decision making related to COVID-19, we have maintained these two priorities in this order:
- Safety of everyone at AST
- Academic achievement of our students
Everything else has been third. This has included the cancellation of numerous events that are part of our culture as a school.
Based on these two foci, there is one thing that we haven’t yet triggered. This language has been at the bottom of the Year-at-a-Glance calendar for a very long time:
Up to 5 additional days will be added to the end of the year in case of any emergency days.
We think that this situation sufficiently constitutes an emergency and we are adding those five days. We are doing this so that we have the time to maintain some of those things that might otherwise be canceled. This change means that:
- The last day of the school year will be Wednesday, June 10, 2020.
- The week of June 1 through June 5 will be a regular 5-day week continuing to alternate Day 1 and Day 2.
- The last week will look like this: (so far)
- Graduation is moved to May 29
- Last regular day is May 22
- Graduation rehearsal is May 26, 27, 28
- Senior finals or makeups is May 25, 26
- Events to schedule
- We are still working to schedule the Spring Concert and the drama performances that are cornerstones of the end of the semester for the school.
- ES semester celebration is canceled due to COVID- 19 and the restrictions on social distancing requirements and restrictions. ES will showcase our learning for this semester in a different way and the teachers will let you know later how they will proceed.
- We anticipate MAPS testing to occur within the same three-week window that we previously planned.
- ES/MS(G1-8) May 19-21, make up: May 22
- HS (G9&10) May 26-28, make up: May 29
Thank you for remaining flexible as we adjust our calendar to best meet the safety and academic needs of students during this unprecedented challenge.
Have a great week,
Anthony & Annie
- 2020-2021 Registration Fee is due on April 30th, 2020
- May 1 (Labour Day) is a regular school day
- Everyone is required to wear a mask at all times, except when eating. Please prepare a few extra masks in case they are misplaced/wet/broken.