Dear AST Family and Friends,
Until now, we have done two rounds of online learning and we have heard both positive and less positive feedback from parents across all grades. While some parents are content with the experiences and praised us for our precautions, others rated the experiences as less satisfactory.
Admittedly, there are some limitations of digital learning; some parents pointed out the lack of interaction between students and missing the all-English environment which is the main reason why they choose to send their children to AST. In addition, for families with younger students, parents needed to spend more time supporting and guiding them, which adds a level of stress to parents.
We want to let you know that your voices have been heard, and we do want to support you. As we announced in last week’s newsletter, we would like to extend the school year by adding several additional days. The added days will be used for instruction, interaction and school events,
Please make sure to jot down the new dates and adjust your calendar.
Have a great week,
Anthony & Annie
- Monday, June 8, will not include any assigned work or interactive sessions except completing conferences (either student-led for MS/HS or parent-teacher for ES).
- There will be no charge to parents for the additional services during these five days. If you previously used the bus or ordered lunches for the semester, these days are included at no additional fee.
- Attendance will be taken on the days in question to insure the safety of our children. However, if students are unable to attend because of previous plans, parents should notify Ms. Claire and those absences will be excused.
- The last day of the school year will be Wednesday, June 10, 2020.
- The week of June 1 through June 5 will be a regular 5-day week continuing to alternate Day 1 and Day 2.
- The last day for students to turn in work is Friday, June 5, 2020.
- The last week will look like this: (so far)
- Graduation is moved to May 29
- Last regular day is May 22
- Graduation rehearsal is May 26, 27, 28
- Senior finals or makeups is May 25, 26
- Events to schedule
- We are still working to schedule the Spring Concert and the drama performances that are cornerstones of the end of the semester for the school.
- ES semester celebration is canceled due to COVID- 19 and the restrictions on social distancing requirements and restrictions. ES will showcase our learning for this semester in a different way and the teachers will let you know later how they will proceed.
- We anticipate MAPS testing to occur within the same three-week window that we previously planned.
- ES/MS(G1-8) May 19-21, make up: May 22
- HS (G9&10) May 26-28, make up: May 29